Monday, October 17, 2011

Wiki & Abstracts (no. 10) - Executive Order?

I brought up in class after we watched the first half of POLICE STATE FOUR: THE RISE OF FEMA that I was confused with the terminology. Because I rarely read about government the onslaught of political phrases left me thinking....

....WHOA....WAIT...WHAT?

(I am not a person who reads news papers or watches the news, because frankly it brings me down. That and I really do not trust even half the headlines. I guess I should probably start, but only if I find a source of news that I feel is legit.)

The one phrase that popped up a lot that Alex Jones seemed to be pretty fired up about was EXECUTIVE ORDER.

executive order: noun, an order having the force of law issued by the president of the U.S. to the army, navy, or other part of the executive branch of the government.


Executive Orders have been used by every chief executive since the time of George Washington. Most of these directives were unpublished and were only seen by the agencies involved. In the early 1900s, the State Department began numbering them; there are now over 13,000 numbered orders.

Executive Orders are controversial because they allow the President to make major decisions, even law, without the consent of Congress. This, of course, runs against the general logic of the Constitution -- that no one should have power to act unilaterally.


 Never the less, Congress often gives the President considerable leeway in implementing and administering federal law and programs. Sometimes, Congress cannot agree exactly how to implement a law or program.

In effect, this leaves the decision to the federal agencies involved and the President that stands at their head. When Congress fails to spell out in detail how a law is to be executed, it leaves the door open for the President to provide those details in the form of Executive Orders.




For more info on Executive Orders check out:






Still confused as to how this is legit?

Me too.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment