Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Wiki & Abstracts (no. 1) - Marjane Satrapi.



I am doubling majoring in COMMUNICATIONS and MEDIA ARTS. I have a passion for both the subjects, so when I find someone who combines these two principles successfully in the real world I often follow their career for years. Marjane Satrapi is one of those people I have faithfully learned from since I first read her book Persepolis I in 2008. Persepolis is a coming of age story about a young Iranian girl growing up in during the Iran – Iraq War and under the suppressive Islamic Republic Regime. Born in Iran in 1969, Satrapi grew up during the Islamic Revolution and the Iran-Iraq War that devasted her country. Growing up in the policital and social turmoil inspired her to tell the true story of her country from the veiw point of a woman and actually citizen of Iran, not a forgien media. Only she didn't write her biography, she drew it.

                        Marjane Satrapi's Biography

                          




Marjane used the medium of art and comic books to convey the struggle of her childhood, her family, and the people of Iran.   Satrapi uses the medium of comics because she believes image is an international language, that is you draw a situation or an expression it means the same thing in all cultures. The images in “Persepolis” are simple, not overly detailed, and expressive. Since they are like this it is easy to relate to them. There is nothing extremely foreign in the scenes; what’s happening there in the scenes could be happening anywhere; Iran, St. Paul, New York, etc... The simplicity allows for the reader to use his/her imagination and place themselves in Marjane’s world.


“From the time I came to France in 1994, I was always telling stories about life in Iran to my friends. We'd see pieces about Iran on television, but  they didn't represent my experience at all. I had to keep saying, "No, it's not like that there." I've been justifying why it isn't negative to be Iranian for almost twenty years. How strange when it isn't something I did or chose to be?”

                               - Marjane Satrapi             




Satrapi's book was also made into one of my most favorite movies of ALL TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check it out!

                    







No comments:

Post a Comment